Chivas Regal Ultis
Chivas Regal Ultis, NAS, 40 %
The Chivas regal Ultis is the first ever blended malt in the Chivas Regal product line. All other products are blends (i.e. with added grain whisky). This blended malt consists of single malt whisky from five different Speyside distilleries (all owned by Chivas Brothers), namely Allt-á-Bhainne, Braeval, Longmorn, Strathisla and Tormore.
According to the official info here, this is what the five single malts bring to the mix:
- Spice and malt are the signature flavours of the Allt A'Bhainne, which brings balance and subtlety to the blend.
- Braeval displays a complex, floral taste including thick honey, leather and green notes.
- Longmorn reveals a creamy smooth, vanilla toffee character.
- The heart of the Chivas blend, Strathisla, has a malty fruity charm with a subtle sweetness.
- The Tormore malt presents the palate with rich citrus orange notes.
The Chivas regal Ultis is currently not available to buy in Norway or Sweden. You cab buy it online at around GBP 140.
Nose: Rich and deep is what first springs to mind. Malty richness with coffee, milk chocolate, citrus fruits and honey. It's a bit like having breakfast without bread (and without bacon.. so not very much like breakfast after all then..). I quite like this nose. There is indeed a whole lot going on here, and at the same time it is one coherent whole.
Taste: Full bodied and rich mouthfeel. Very rich for a dram at 40 % ABV. Again with the citrus fruits (oranges mainly), chocolate and honey.
Finish: Medium long finish. Chocolate milk! OK, still with a touch of oranges, but.. chocolate milk! Dangerous!
Sláinte! - Thomas