Bruichladdich Octomore 07.2 Scottish Barley
Bruichladdich Octomore 07.2 Scottish Barley, 5 YO, 58,5 %
- Edition numbers
- Up until the 7th generation of Octomore there was only 1 release on the odd numbered generations (01.1, 03.1, 05.1).
- Up until the 6th generation there were 2 releases on all even numbered generations (02.1 and 02.2 etc).
- The .1 releases are matured exclusively in American Oak ex-bourbon barrels.
- The .2 releases are matured fully or finished in various wine casks.
- 02.2 Chateau Petrus Bordeaux Casks
- 04.2 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes Casks
- 06.2 Eau-de-Vie Limousin Oak Cask of Aquitaine
- 07.2 Rhône Syrah Wine Casks
- The .3 releases, starting with 06.3 will be made exclusively using Islay Barley.
- Phenol levels
- The Octomore series is well-known for being über-peated, with phenol levels way above any other single malts released anywhere.
- Phenol level is given as part per million (ppm).
- It is said that Bruichladdich have Octomores in their warehouse made with peated malt with phenol levels above 300 ppm.
- The ppm level of the releases so far do follow a very high and rising trend:
- 01.1 131 ppm
- 02.1 140 ppm
- 02.2 140 ppm
- 03.1 152 ppm
- 04.1 167 ppm
- 04.2 167 ppm
- 05.1 169 ppm
- 06.1 167 ppm
- 06.2 167 ppm
- 06.3 258 ppm
- 07.1 208 ppm
- 07.2 208 ppm
The Bruichladdich Octomore 07.2 Scottish Barley is a Travel Retail Only release. It has been matured in American Oak bourbon casks before receiving a finish in Rhône Syrah Wine Casks.
Nose (23/25): A smoldering citrus plantation, the day after the big fire. The air is filled with ashes, and dry wood smoke, all mixed in with citrus notes, zesty and slightly burnt. A baker has set up shop with his mobile baker's oven. The delightful notes of freshly baked bread slowly spreads and softens the overall impression.
Taste (23/25): Caramel, ashes and fruits. The mouthfeel is thick and rich. The sweetness has notes of wine, a soft sweetness of berries and summer fruits.
Finish (22/25): Sweet, long and lingering. Ashes and wine for the first stretch, then caramel and fruit drops on top of smoky embers.
Balance (22/25): A warm and comforting dream of a dram. The Octomore series continues to impress. Very well-integrated and balanced drams at such a young age.
Sláinte! - Thomas