We were treated to great news at the Oslo whiskyfestival 2018 a couple of weeks back. That Boutique-y Whisky Company now has a Norwegian importer!
That Boutique-y Whisky Company is a trading name of Atom Supplies Limited. Atom Supplies also own That Boutique-y Gin Company and That Boutique-y Rum Company, and the online whisky shop Master of Malt. Other trading names under Atom Supplies include Atom Brands and Maverick Drinks. Just recently Maverick Drinks together with Asian spirits distributor Proof & Company launched Jerry, an online e-learning resource for bartenders.
The team behind it all include Nick Ravenhall, Global Head of Sales (see interview when Nick worked in Norway), and Sam ‘Dr. Whisky’ Simmons, Head of Whisky.
This is how they describe That Boutique-y Whisky Company online:
That Boutique-y Whisky Company is an independent bottler which offers stunning whiskies from world-renowned brands and distilleries. Each bottle has a fun and informative graphic-novel-style label containing humorous references, in-jokes and shocking puns.
They bottle all their whiskies in 50 cl bottles, and they are currently releasing around 100 bottlings per year. They are represented in around 45 markets, soon to grow to around 60 markets.
The Norwegian importer for That Boutique-y Whisky Company is Malt Norge AS, a brand new company led by Janne Utnem and Bernard Tønder Smith. They know their whisky very well, having worked the trade for years already. They will also be importing Wolfburn, and there’s more to come. Exciting times!
Back to Boutique-y whisky, though. At the Oslo whiskyfestival I got to attend a tasting, hosted by Nick Ravenhall. Here is a list with quick fire reviews of no less than nine releases from TBWC:
- Mackmyra Batch 1 TBWC, 3 YO, 47.2 %
- Nose: Very sweet. Young-ish. Green. Light spices, caramel and camphor.
- Taste: Medium body. Green, mild fruitiness – apples and citrus. Very clean.
- Finish: Medium to short. Vanilla, fruit drops.
- Score: 83
- Langatun Batch 1 TBWC, 5 YO, 49.4 %
- Nose: Lots of wine notes. Mild oak and some maltiness. Clean
- Taste: Medium to light body. Again a bit oaky. Nuts and milk chocolate.
- Finish: Short to medium finish. Dry-ish. Oaky. Low sweetness.
- Score: 84
- Japanese Blended Whisky Batch 4 TBWC – for Dr Jekyll’s, 21 YO, 47.7 %
- Nose: Light, rich and malty. Caramel and fruits.
- Taste: Medium body. Very mild and smooth. Vanilla and camphor. Fruit drops.
- Finish: Long finish. A tad green now. Mint and menthol.
- Score: 88
- Willowbank Batch 1 TBWC, 17 YO, 53.8 %
- Nose: Light and sugary character. Wine notes, polish and leather.
- Taste:Medium. Dry. Very oaky. Strawberries. With time cinnamon and carnation.
- Finish: Strawberries and polish. Quite astringent.
- Score: 82
- Invergordon Batch 18 TBWC, 44 YO, 47.6 %
- Nose: Vanilla, marshmallows, fruit drops, candy store delight!
- Taste: Rich! Lots of sweetness and vanilla notes. Much like the nose.
- Finish: Super smooth and so well balanced. Mild oakiness in the end.
- Score: 93
- Springbank Batch 8 TBWC – Madeira Finish, 21 YO, 47.5 %
- Nose: A hint of farmyard. Dirt road, caramel, dark sugar, caramel pudding.
- Taste: Rich! “Dirty” sweetness. Light peatiness. Briny.
- Finish: Long. Oily, deep and rich. Hints of sweet wine. Salty caramel.
- Score: 91
- Croftengea Batch 11 TBWC, 11 YO, 56.7 %
- Nose:Weird Tales! Dirty, rubber, wood smoke, earthy, wet leaves.
- Taste: Rich! Sugary, earthy. Wood smoke.
- Finish: Long. Rich caramel, malt and light peat.
- Score: 84
- Octomore Batch 2 TBWC – Chateau d’Yquem, 10 YO, 48.8 %
- Nose: Chocolate, light cheesiness, tons of earthy peat.
- Taste: Rich and full bodied. Creamy. Caramel, mild fruits, sweet.
- Finish: Medium to long finish. Continues, with added chocolate. Ashes and soot.
- Score: 88
- Bowmore Batch ? TBWC, 27 YO, ? %
- Nose: Rich and very fruity. A touch of salt and assorted spices.
- Taste: Rich! Sugar cubes dipped in soot and engine oil.
- Finish: Long. Fruit drops in the garage.
- Score: 92