Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 02, 7-8 YO, 49.5 %
Another exciting release from Teeling on the test bench today. I am looking at the Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 02. This series of whiskeys take a closer look at the influence of casks on the end product. The first release focused on sherry casks (see review).
The Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 02 focuses on port casks. This second release was bottled in August 2017 and came on sale late 2017. A total of 12 500 bottles were released.
Six different types of port casks were used:
- 10 % is whiskey distilled in 2005, first matured in ex-bourbon casks, then finished for about 2 years in Tawny port casks
- 12.5 % is whiskey from 2005, fully matured in white port casks
- 12.5 % is whiskey from 2002, fully matured in white port casks
- 20 % is whiskey from 2009, fully matured in ruby port casks
- 20 % is whiskey from 2007, fully matured in ruby port casks
- 25 % is whiskey from 2001, fully matured in ruby port casks
I love it when we are provided with such detail. Makes me want even more details!
You can buy a bottle of Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 02 online at around GBP 57.
Nose: Warm and cosy is the first that comes to mind. Freshly baked bread, and mild spices. Then, as I dive deeper, dusty oranges (yeah..) and an earthy touch. Chocolate with more time in the glass.
Taste: Medium body, velvety feel. Quite spicy attack – pepper, chili and ginger. Then the second wave – nuts, vanilla and honey.
Finish: Medium long finish. More fruity now, actually quite fruity. Lime zest, oranges and ripe apples. Softly spicy still, and the nuttiness is ever present. Again somewhat earthy.
Comments: Yeah, this really works. Port casks and Teeling spirit [*] is a good match.
Image from Master of Malt.
[*] Yeah, I know they are still sourcing their whiskey, but there is a lot of history and background best left for another article.