Box Quercus II Alba, 5 YO, 50.8 %
This is the second release in the Quercus series from Swedish distillery Box Whisky (well, High Coast Distillery). I have previously reviewed the Box Quercus I Robur.
The focus this time is fresh American white oak (Quercus Alba). This whisky is 100 % unpeated. As always you will find all the minute details on this release on the Box website, but here is a short summary:
- Initial maturation for 5.1 years in 140 litre bourbon casks, and for 3 and 4.1 years in 200 litre bourbon casks
- Finished for 0.83 to 2.7 years in 40 and 96 litre virgin / fresh American oak (Quercus Alba) – in other words a minimum of 10 months finish
- Age of youngest drops is 5.12 years
- Average age of content is 5.55 years
- Number of bottles: 9 806 (50 cl)
You can still buy the Box Quercus II Alba in Sweden at SEK 799 (4018601). There is hope that it will be released in Norway some time later this year.
Nose: Vanilla sticks in a glass of warm milk with honey. Hints of citrus and coconut. With time cinnamon, warm ginger cake and sun-warmed oak.
Taste: Full-bodied with a dry-ish mouthfeel. Lots of pepper – black and white. Quite spicy actually. A certain level of oakiness here – dry, toasted staves of oak. Some nuttiness in the background. Hints of coconut.
Finish: Medium long finish. Most of the spiciness give way to a light and rich sweetness. A sweet and lightly peppery warmth that reminds me of a rye whiskey (with added maltiness, of course). Soft oakiness and vanilla remain till the end.
Comments: A very fine whisky from the Swedish High Coast. In fact one of their best releases so far.